08 February 2010

Steve's Famous Macaroni and Cheese



Last week, I had a mad craving for some really good mac and cheese, so I emailed my sister for her friend Steve's recipe. Gina made it for Christmas last year and since then, other recipes (even the Test Kitchen's) have just fallen flat. Steve's recipe has 4 cheeses in it: parmesan, romano, sharp cheddar, and mozzarella. I can't reveal much more, so here's a camera phone photo journal.

 
Whisking the bechamel


In goes the par-cooked pasta


All cheesy and ready to be baked in my I'm-not-sure-how-it-hasn't-fallen-apart-yet-there's-a-huge-ass-crack-in-it Le Creuset baking dish

 
Cheesy goodness


And with a side of roasted broccolini
Best. mac. ever.

4 comments:

  1. I just recently had the best mac and cheese in my life, which had six cheeses, including the four above, and gorgonzola (I don't remember the sixth, but I think that it was a sort of cut and paste cheese of your choice)! The gorgonzola wasn't overpowering at all, and added an extra bite to the dish, so there was a stronger cheese flavour than the creamy flavour many homemade macaroni and cheese dishes have. I highly reccommend giving it a try, my friend who made it won the title of Mac Daddy at our mac and cheese cook off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I was thinking there was some room there to play with different cheese. Gorgonzola is a great suggestion. I thought bleu might be a little overpowering, but nice to hear it's not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i LOVE mac n' cheese and never quite find it cheesy enough - this is exciting and will definitely be tried by the red door epicure group (ok, yes - it's just me). Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete